Black swastika sewn on to white circle and stitched into a red background, CHIDLITZ cotton embroidered on black square with thick white cord edging attached top left corner of both sides of the flag, most of the silver wire edging to the flag missing. There are four steel clips down the left side of the flag for attaching to the pole.
Chidlitz was a suburb of the Free State of Danzig prior to 1945. The first Danzig SA unit was formed on 28 March 1926 with 45 members. Even before the formation of the SA, the commander of the irregular citizens\' militia, the Einwohnerwehr, which was the closest thing to an army in the demilitarized city, was disturbed by a distorted report that its Nazi members had been instructed not to extend their duty to defend law and order to protecting the existing government system. In reality, the local Nazis were no great threat at this time, as the party in Germany appeared to be stuck in the political wilderness. This produced despondency among the rank and file, a sentiment that affected the SA men in Danzig even more than those in the Reich itself. The Danzig SA was isolated, cooperation with the militia was poor, and the way to power appeared blocked.
The increase in political street violence in Germany during 1931 and 1932 had its parallel in Danzig. The SA clashed repeatedly with the communists and with the social democratic Arschufo, the Workers\' Defence Formations. Gun battles were rare, but knives and improvised weapons were frequently used. Remarkably, there was only one fatality: 16-year-old Horst Hoffmann, who had been fighting alongside his SA and SS companions with the Arschufo in bloody riots in the village of Kahlbude on Sunday 12 November 1931. With what was perceived as a hero\'s death, he was immediately elevated to the status of a martyr by the NSDAP, and the day passed into Danzig Nazi legend as \"Totensonntag\" or \"Death Sunday\". In the early summer of 1939, the Danzig Senate decided to form a home defence force, and with its closure on 3 June 1939 the responsibility for raising the unit was taken over by the Reichsführer-SS. In October 1938, the third battalion of the 4th SS Death\'s Head Regiment was formed in Berlin-Adlershof under the command of SS-Obersturmbannführer Hans Freidemann Götze. Himmler decided that this unit would be the cadre of the home defence force. It was joined by the Totenkopf Anti-Tank Training Company, also from Germany. In July 1939 the SS-Heimwehr Danzig (SS-Home Defence Force Danzig) was raised. Its full complement consisted of 42 officers and approximately 1500 men. Its demographic composition was two-thirds German nationals while the remainder were from Danzig. Gauleiter Forster presented the unit with its company standard at a special parade held on 18 August 1939, when SS-Obersturmbannführer Götze received it on behalf of the SS-Heimwehr Danzig.
Nazi items from Danzig seldom appear on the market. Very Good condition.